04 Feb Bhumi – It’s time to REFRESH
When we started Bhumi in 2006, education was one of the many things we did. Over the next 2 years we realized that the few of us could focus only on a few things and do it well, so we ended up channeling all our efforts into education of children.
Our educational projects are now consistent and focused to create impact over the years to come; we currently engage only a small group (yes, 1,000 is small now ;)) of young volunteers with long term commitment in our projects.
What about the thousands of others knocking on Bhumi’s portals?
What about the hundreds of leaders we churn out every year?
What about the tens of ideas our volunteers come up with?
It’s time to REFRESH!
Bhumi’s projects will now get grouped under two broad verticals
Education – Children
- Kanini – Computers
- Lakshya – Life skills & mentorship
- Little Einsteins – Mathematics
- Little Einsteins – Science
- Nakshatra Reach Out – Talent Development – Arts
- Nakshatra Reach Out – Talent Development – Sports
- Speak Out – English
REFRESH – Others
- REcruitment – HR drives at colleges, companies to promote volunteerism and get more people volunteering for causes through initiatives like Hi5 Club
- FundRaising – Decentralised volunteer driven fundraising – both online and real-world, corporate engagement, Joy to the World etc.
- Environment – Think Green programme to be revived
- SHort term volunteering opportunities – for example
- Nakshatra – Talent Fest – A dedicated team will coordinate Nakshatra through the year and throughout the country, while most volunteers can commit for just 2 months
- Voter Registration Drive – Bhumi has tied up with Janaagraha and TOI to drive registration of new voters across the country during Feb-March 2014
Each of the above components of the REFRESH team will function as independent projects like the existing educational projects for children. There will be dedicated National Facilitators, support teams and city coordinators to independently drive each of these and other ideas to come.
Bhumi will be able to engage more volunteers who can commit for short periods of time through the REFRESH platform. Maybe the volunteers don’t have to be young and could be everyone who is just young at heart and has the passion to contribute to the society.
Change Today … Change Tomorrow