About This Project
Riding for a cause is a programme to promote cycling for a good health, at the same time volunteering for various social causes.
A group of Bhumi Bengaluru volunteers initiated the project to add a sense of social purpose to the healthy habit of cycling. Promoting the use of cycle is much essential step towards:
- increasing awareness on physical activity to maintain health, and
- contributing, as a general public, to fight environmental pollution.
A friendly group of cycling enthusiasts will assemble every month one weekend and take to the road to address a selected social cause. Prior planning is done by the volunteer group to make the day special and memorable, with few games included in their itinerary.
- In the month of July 2017, the theme was ‘Seedballs’ to improve green cover around the city.
- Volunteers rode cycle to Turahalli forest, 16 km from Bengaluru
- 3000 seedballs were thrown in Turahalli forest
- From the month of September 2017, the theme has been ‘Village Development’. Bhumi volunteers discuss with the selected village residents regarding the problems they face. Solutions are offered wherever possible like setting up of library, mentoring for children, medical camp and digital literacy.
The programme is currently ongoing in Bengaluru; around 40 volunteers actively volunteer every month to maintain a healthy living, while contributing to the society.
- Riding for a Cause is a monthly event, mostly organised on first or second Sunday of the month
- Next ride is on December 9, 2018 | Bhumi has arranged this Cycle Rally to promote local transport and cycling to promote better health and a pollution free Bengaluru.
- Cycles will be provided to volunteers for the trip on request, for which a nominal sum will be charged
Special thanks to Garden City Cycle, Bengaluru, for lending cycles at subsidised rate and extending support for the cause.
*Cancellation policy: The cancellation of cycle booking must be cancelled at least four business days before the event. Cancellations received after the stated deadline will not be eligible for a refund.
Register below to volunteer for ‘Riding for a cause’